Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Poetry Reflected



I just love that poetry is a little more ambiguous than text and therefore up to as large an interpretation as a work of art. I would say something like the narrative of Noah’s Ark comes through as clearly as the story in a novel. An abstract painting by Kandinsky has a few representational clues- like the houses and such- but like poetry is left to more interpretation. The simpler the medium the wider range of ideas? This is something I used to not believe. I remember a teacher saying the shorter a composition the harder the execution. She said a novel is easiest, then the short story, then a poem. I didn’t agree and thought length added to complexity- but I now see the point. But what about newer novels which seem to be almost all poetry?

I didn't see the war connection in March Violets until someone said it- and at first was embarrassed that I couldn't figure that out on my own. Then I remembered that if I am a teacher my students won't all think the same and the whole point of open discussion is to get out new ideas. However, I worry that talking too much about a work before anything is turned in can make it change a student's mind- or doubt their initial theory. That is why I liked how Wexler had us write something first before anyone talked about it.

In the readings the Yeats poems gave a strong sense of emotion and numerous images. I also liked the different in style between “When You Are Old” and “The Second Coming.”

When you are old and gray and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

compared to...

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold,
Mere anarchy is loose upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

1 comment:

  1. You couldn't be more right when you said that something as short as Noah's Ark could be (and pull off) represented as a story in a novel. It has all the things necessary to form a story: plot, narrative, and even a climax (okay, there are other things as well, but you get my jist.)

    There is nothing wrong with your first analysis of March Violets. In fact, I did not see war at all myself. Granted, many points match and it could be easily taken as that, but that does not mean that your interpretation (or mine!) was wrong, as long as we express -why- we think it means whatever we think it means, and back it up with evidence like quotes and whatnot.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete