Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Media Reflection: Warning! Dangerous in title only clip included

This is a clip from one of my favorite shows, Upright Citizens Brigade. This sketch comedy program would constantly use eccentric situations to highlight societal problems and hypocrisy at large. I think media in education is essential to connect with the modern student- but must incorporate the written word as well. I am excited to help students find out that literature is everywhere- and the better they know it, the more inside jokes they will get out of their current passions. Since I have read more I see the trends even in shows like 30 Rock and The Office.

There are several things going on in the clip. The female is in a dominant position- but since it is funny it could get students to think about how dumb it is to be in either position. The seemingly smart girl is asking a jock looking guy to help with her homework- something else to talk about. After several professors who successfully used power point and forms like youtube clips and website exploring, I have learned what I think works. I have had classes where we watch an entire movie and didn't ever even discuss the importance. If the entire movie was needed I would make students watch it on their own time- or offer it for borrowing if someone was interested.

I am very excited about the blog format- a senior class in high school could benefit from the trust and responsibility it requires. I think that either way media in education can serve to drastically enrich the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment