Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fish- Dolphin- Sea Turtle- How does Baby Einstein Work?

Okay- I'm guilty- I admit it- I let me children watch TV before two years of age despite that being the recommended age by the "professionals." Whew -- that felt good, I truly needed to get that off my chest. All I know is that it is 7:56am- I am sitting at my computer doing homework, and my son is peacefully sitting close by and he is naming all the animals he sees on Baby Einstein: World Animals. These tapes have come under fire-http://www.mediafamily.org/mediawisecolumns/baby_einstein_mw.shtml and article by Dr. Dave of the National Institute on Media & the Family, who believes, "The lure of the product appeals to the hopes of every new parent who wants her baby to get a jumpstart on achievement. That sounds nice, but there's an implied threat here too: if you deprive your little one of this wonderful product you will relegate him to a lifetime of stupidity... Very simply put, it gets kids hooked on screens before they can even crawl. There's nothing wrong with the colorful and child-friendly content. The problem is that the videos wire the growing brain to expect constant entertainment and to always look to the screen for everything good in life." What a convincing statement.
But I tell ya- I didn't expect my kids to become little einsteins- just to sit still a little bit-and learn while hearing classical music. Right now- right this second my son is waddling over to me with a blanket draped over his head, "i wanna sit wi' momma'- okay time to go now.... tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment